For an inner layer that is sure to turn heads, men pile on the checked shirts this season. In flannel and cotton, these colorful and eye-catching patterns are a pleasant way to add punch and panache to your wardrobe.
From ordinary to extraordinary, guys are all about throwing on button-down checked shirts over a long-sleeved tee or thermal shirt for an easy, casual look. With a variety of colors and patterns available, there’s surely something for everyone to keep warm this winter. Depending on your style, you can make checked shirts work for your look -- ranging from urban cowboy to punk hipster.
1. SAVE A HORSE, RIDE A COWBOY. John Varvatos USA flannel is a great item for the urban cowboy. With embroidered details on the chest and collar and sleeves with a slight country twang, wearing this shirt should add a little swagger to your step. Pair this checkered shirt with dark denim and boots for a trendy look.
2. PLAID AROUND THE COLLAR. Wrap yourself in a touch of plaid if this trend seems a bit overwhelming. Try this grey plaid scarf by American Eagle for $15. Great with a dress shirt & blazer for a brisk winter evening or out on the town. This scarf adds a touch of preppy into a boring or bland wardrobe.
3. NOT YOUR PAJAMA PANTS. When many people think plaid, only a few things come to mind, the Brawny Man, Catholic school, or pajama pants. This season, try a classic flat front plaid pant by Penguin, paired with a dress shirt and a v-neck striped sweater for an edgy approach to a classic print. Pants are great way to add a bit of style to your ensemble. If you get any braver, you'll be wearing a kilt!
4. THE GRID IRON. Athletic wear more of your style? Michael Kors plaid track jacket will definitely suit the athlete in you while keeping you warm on your daily errands around town. Stylish and chic it looks good over a t-shirt and jeans or a polo and slacks. This jacket has fearless combinations for your cool evenings.
5. CHECK MATE. Comfy, cozy sweaters can never do you wrong for winter. This cashmere checkered sweater from Theory is a great layering piece for your wardrobe. Pair it over a dress shirt or under a blazer for a polished to perfection look that will be sure to leave them speechless. Turn heads in style while walking like a man!