(as featured on MyStyle.com)
What can I do to make corset tops work for the office or during the day?—Drea, Yakima, Washington
I've partnered with celebrity fashion stylist Toni Ferrara to answer your question; she's done a ton of personal shopping just for you, and you have more options than you think, especially if your day does not involve eight hours in an office cubicle or a power lunch with the queen.
The most respectable way to wear a sexy top like this is to pair it with a sleek suit. Yes, as Ferrara puts it, "Underwear as outerwear is not only sexy but ultra chic," but unless you work with Ugly Betty at Mode, proceed with caution.
If you just love that Frederick's of Hollywood corset, cover up the sexy bits with the blazers and slacks over at Banana Republic. For a weekend brunch, Ferrara suggests "pairing a corset under a vest and your favorite dressy wide-leg denim."
Ferrara also has an exciting way to wear a corset on a lunch date or coffee with friends: a textured corset worn right over a fitted dress shirt. "It's very posh," Ferrara says, "and I do mean Victoria Beckham-esque." Victoria's Secret has a very nice French-cuff dress shirt. At $28, there's not much to argue against it. Pair it with the Rose Adora busk-front corset and you're good to go. Ferrara also likes the idea of a gray, V-neck tee by James Perse—who creates airy, lightweight shirts unlike any other—and a denim corset by Betsey Johnson.
That's it! Lace up and head on out.
Here are a few more ideas, . . .
- It’s a Cinch. Mix it up. Put a brocade or textured corset over a crisp fitted dress shirt. Its very posh, and I do mean Victoria Beckham-esque. Personal favs- The French cuff dress shirt by Victoria Secret ($28) & Rose Adora Busk Front Corset, $69, available at spiceitupboutique.com.
- Boho Dream. Be Hippie, Hippie-chic, by incorporating a floral corset and a prairie skirt. Personal favs-Passion flower corset, $55, available at ohcheri.com. Tie Dye Silk Georgette Convertible Skirt, $148, available at Freepeople.com.
- Best Dressed. Add some flair and sass to your favorite summer dress by adding a leather waist corset. Poppy colored eyelet dress by Max & Cleo, $118, available at Macy’s. Tanner Chocolate Midriff Corset, $43, available at lingeriediva.com.
- Tucked In. Tuck a gorgeous corset into a high waisted pencil skirt and it is a match made in heaven. Personal favs- Black high-waisted Double Knit pencil skirt by Only Hearts, $66, available at shopbop.com and lacey halter corset, $58, available at desire4mo.com.
- Genie in a Bottle. Wishing for a new way to wear your favorite corset? Wish granted-Pair a dark grey Harem pants with a rouched corset and a boyfriend jacket. Personal favs- Harem pants, $119, available at Zara stores, rouched corset, $69, Shirley of Hollywood, Boyfriend Jacket with Stripe Cuffs by Aqua Boyfriend Jacket with Stripe Cuffs, $88, available at Bloomingdales.